I measured the board and measured the bed and decided that I had just enough board to make it work.
The great thing about insulation board is that you can cut it easily with a utility knife or other razor blade. I wrapped the insulation board in batting (which I duck taped to the back of the board!). Then I wrapped it in the fabric (which is actually a shower curtain from Target for $9.99). (By the way, a sheet of insulation board, which is 4' x 9', is about $7.00). My staple gun quit working about a third of the way into the project. I think this was divine intervention because the insulation board really isn't dense enough to held the staples in place very well. No worries...I plugged in the low temp glue gun and went to work.
Don't let that curve intimidate you! I used the top of a hat box to make a circular mark on the top corners of the board.
After I taped and glued the batting and fabric in place, I used a ruler to draw a thin pencil line around the border of the "headboard". I carefully inserted silver upholstery tacks into the board, following along the pencil line. By the way, the tacks were from Wal-mart. They were 97 cents for a pack of 30 and I think I used 5 packs.
The total time spent on this project was under three hours. Probably under two.
I'm linking to :
By the way, this is my "soon to be 10 years old" daughter's bedroom. She REALLY likes her new headboard!