Monday, January 18, 2010

A little before and after

Since I don't have a completed project to show you (yet), I'll leave you with a little before and after. I love a good "before and after" and I'm assuming that you do too.


This is a picture of our house taken the first day that I walked in the house, before it was even ours.




This is a picture of the house today:



Here's a picture of the foyer as it was the day I walked into the house:


The house was built in 1940. The couple who built the home had four children, all of whom their mother buried before she died in 2006. The mother had a sad life, really. Her husband died in the seventies, the same year that he retired. By the way, he was Dean of the Vet school here in Auburn. The school is now named after him. But it was really interesting walking into this house. It was like stepping into 1976. Notice the bicentennial wallpaper. I don't think that Mrs. Green touched the house after her husband's death in the seventies. In fact, the house still had no central air when we bought it.
But here it is today.


The only upgrades we made to the existing part of the house were cosmetic. The house was so well built that it required very little change. We added central heat and air, re-finished the floor, removed wallpaper, repaired the cracks in the plaster walls, and painted every square inch of the interior of the house.

It was a fun project, and I would do all over again. But it wasn't easy. I had four little ones, all under the age of 6. I'm exhausted just thinking about what all we did. But this is our "forever" house and it was well worth it.

7 comments:

  1. It looks so fabulous! That must have been crazy with your little ones under foot! I laugh because my girls are so used to me tearing up/out/etc...things that it doesn't even phase them anymore....:) they just step over it/around it/through it...hee hee. See, we are raising very flexible & resilient kiddos! Can't wait to see more afters!
    Shellagh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your hallway... it really does have the look and feel of a forever house. Lots of work went into it I can tell.

    Di
    The Blue Ridge Gal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tiffany,
    please stop by today, I have something for you! Thanks!
    Shellagh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your home is beautiful! I am impressed with all the work you've done with small children lurking around. It looks well worth the effort though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for all of the compliments!! XO

    ReplyDelete